- 6.5 oz (by weight) dried black beans (alternative 1 15 oz can black beans drained)
- 6 oz (by weight) dried kidney beans (alternative 1 15 oz can kidney beans drained)
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 Tbsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- avocado oil
- 4 cups broth
- If using dried beans soak the beans 4 - 8 hours in plenty of water, discard soaking water. Consider rinsing if desired.
- Sweat the onion until nearly transluscent. Add garlic, and sweat for an additional minute, add other spices and cook for 30 seconds, add tomato paste, and cook for 30 seconds, add all other ingredients.
- Put the lid on the pressure cooker, and bring to a boil and high pressure for 45 minutes.
- Release the pressure quickly, return to a simmer, and reduce until desired consistency and beans are tender (they probably already were).
Salt the soaking water per kenji