Reverse Seared Standing Rib Roast
Serving on evening of 25 December.
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
As early as 21 December season with .5 - 1 TBSP (7.5 - 15 ml) salt per rib, and a bunch of black pepper.
~2 TBSP salt for a 4 rib 8 lb roast. ~1 TBSP pepper for a 4 rib 8 lb roast.
Put in fridge at ~21:00 22 December
Cooking time / temp:
Start Time: 12:50
|Elapsed Time||Instant Read||Surface Temp||Oven Temp|
Definitely came out over cooked. Center was ~medium rare, but edges were nearly well done. Needed to start it earlier. 6 hours?
Blue Cheese Sauce
- Serious Eats Bechamel
- Emeril Lagasse Blue Cheese Mornay
1.5 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1.5 TBSP AP Flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 ounce blue cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Add shallot, garlic, and salt to un-melted butter over medium heat
- once bubbling / smelling nutty add flour slowly to make a light roux
- Add milk whisking constantly
- Add a bunch of black pepper
- Bring to boil, reduce to simmer once liquid has started to reduce incorporate cheese.
Left out garlic Did not have nearly enough blue cheese flavor. Was good, but needed way more cheese.
Ultra Gooey Mac
Food Lab Recipe 1 LB elbow macaroni 12 oz evaporated milk 2 eggs 1 tsp hot sauce 1 tsp ground mustard 1 LB extra sharp cheddar 8 oz American (or Muenster) cheese 1 TBSP corn starch * 8 TBSP (1 stick butter)