- 1.75 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp Saffron
- 4 Tbsp avocado oil (not exactly sure on amount enough to cover large skillet)
- 4 chicken thighs (~1 lb)
- 1 onion small dice
- 2 Tbsp Sazon Completa
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- 1 cup salsa
- Additional Salt and Pepper
- Add the saffron to the chicken broth, and let steep while the rest of the prep goes on.
- Season the thighs thoroughly with salt and pepper
- Over medium high heat in a large skillet sear on the non-skin side for 4 minutes
- Flip, and sear skin side for 4 more minutes
- Flip and sear on non-skin side for 4 more minutes (removing early if chicken is small)
- Remove chicken from pan, and aside
- Reduce heat to medium, and sweat the onions for 4-6 minutes
- Add the garlic cloves, sazon completa, and rice to the onions, and cook for 1-2 more minutes till rice browns a bit, and raw edge is cooked off the garlic
- Add the salsa, and saffron chicken broth, and peas to the pan, scrape off browned chicken and onion bits, and bring to a rapid boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer covered for 17 minutes.
- Remove the lid for one moment, and check a bit of the rice (hopefully it's done).
- Let sit covered an additional 10 minutes.
There was a bit too much oil. Only use enough to barely cover the bottom of the pan when cooking the chicken There may have been a touch too much salt.